Saturday, June 07, 2008

Race reflections

All the publicity about race because of O'Bama makes me realize how old I am. A whole
genaration that I was raised in has virtually disappeared. I became an adult when Pearl Harbor happened and I was a freshman at the University of Michigan. In this era, we had Father Coughlin for instance.Look him up on Google. He was finally stopped from his weekly broadcast by Pope Pius. His talks consisted of constant abuse
of Jews, and to a lesser extent, Blacks. He was listened to by a vast audience of adults, like my parents, on the radio. Several points need to be made. He was not vilified. His medium was radio.Think about that. There was almost no other medium for entertainment or information. Cell phones had not even been imagined except possibly beca;use of Dick Tracy's wrist radio! No television,The movies showed newsreels, and you read the newapaper, either the aft. edition or the morning editon.
I'm a slow typist, I'll add to this in a few days.
RHD

No comments: