Saturday, June 24, 2006

reflections

reflections
This last few days, June 22,23,24, we spent in Mount Dora, Fl.
We stayed at the lakeview Inn hotel, built in 1883. The highlights of the weekend were dinner with my old cohort, Dual South and his wife Jane, and a trip through the Dora Canal. The canal connects Lake Dora with the rest of the lakes in Lake County, and was once used by steamboats to ferry people to their Island homes. The canal is a couple of miles long, and is unique in its pristine loveliness. It's hard to do it justice in pictures taken from the little cruise boat we were on, but I tried. We saw alligators, turtles, and many species of birds. These included, eagles, anhingas, cormorants, blue herons, Ibises, and others. In addition, the banks are filled with growth of all kinds. The most impressive to me were the giant Cypress trees, many dead, but also alive. These trees are upwards of one thousand years old!
All in all, it was one of the best "Nature trips" I've ever taken.

2 comments:

pineyflatwoodsgirl said...

Wow! I didn't know that Mt. Dora had such a lovely hotel! I want to go. I'll just have to plan a trip. Now where will I find a man to take me antique-ing?

RHD said...

Can't help you there!!