Sunday, May 06, 2007

Thoughts on aging. We never worried about aging when we were young. Now, we do , but not
neccessarily about dying. When you begin to realize there are things you can no longer do, you at least begin to regret what you are losing.
For me, and for others I assume, it is about that. I was a life long sailor, racing and cruising, but
I can't even get on a boat now, much less sail it!
I was never an athlete, but I loved running. At age 53, I began to jog hard for about 6 miles a day, 7 days a week. At 75, I gave up jogging, and began to walk fast for about 2-4 miles a day.
That tapered off, and now I walk maybe 1/2 to 3/4 miles about 3-4 days a week.
Thats a bummer, and I really miss it.
Of course we see changes in our minds too, even if we don't have Alzheimers. Can't remember
names etc. However, it ain't all bad! I can still play pretty good bridge, read papers like the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal etc., on the internet.
So I guess I'll stay around to celebrate my 84th birthday, and my 60th anniversary.
So there too!
RHD

1 comment:

Brenda Robinson said...

Hello!
I very much enjoyed your account and photos of the May 11 DYC party! Thank you for posting them. I was at the party too; I came up from Boynton Beach to go to the party and to to meet my daughter (from Seattle) for Mother's Day weekend. I had not been to the DYC for 38 years before that party, and my daughter had never been there. I lived summers on my dad's boat on Main Dock all through the 1960s. We had a ball at the reunion! There was not a real huge 60s generation contingent, but I did have fun with several old dear friends and neighbors. I met your friend Lynn Baker-Hunter and she was delightful. She wanted me to meet you and Marge, and I think we actually did very briefly. I also met the Stedman sisters whom I had not known before. I had been friendly with their brother Lynn back in the 60s, he's my age. I sent along a note for him with one of his sisters. She told me his children lived in Seattle (like mine do), so I wrote him the name of the restaurant my daughter's husband is chef for, The Stumbling Goat Bistro.
Well, it was fun 'talking' with you! I remember a Bobby Dodd around my age at the club back then. Very nice guy. I wonder if you are related. I brought old pictures to the club for the party and he was in three of them with a crowd on my dad's boat.
Warm regards,
Brenda (Moore) Robinson