Thursday, January 12, 2006

Before I leave yesterday's thoughts, I would like to add this: The sole reason my Dad bought his first boat about 1930 was this. Prohibition was still the law of the land. In Detroit, we lived near the Detroit river. At it's head , there was and is an island named Peche. The international border between Canada and the Unites States bisects the Island. The Canadian side lends itself to beaching a small boat and going ashore for picnics etc. It also was about a 1/2 mile away from the Riverside brewery, which made and sold, legally of course, beer. They would send small boats over to the island, and take an order for beer which would then be delivered by boat in a few minutes. While it was not legal to brng this back to your boat place in Detroit, the law was loosely enforced. My Dad was as most of Detroit was, all in favor of this setup, and that's why he bought our first small boat. It served it's purpose, and many a case of beer came to Detroit in it.
Once in a great while, the revenoors would get active, and then quite a number of cases of beer would end up on the bottom of the Detroit river. The importance of these facts to my life is that they led to my exposure to boats and then my lifelong love affair with sailboats both for racing and cruising.

No comments: