Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The pictures below are all from the early 30s. This was the growing up time for me. The depression was slowly ending, and my Dad was making a good living. We lived well. Grade school for me was in a public school, Hally. There were no blacks, and very few Jews. I say this to further illustrate the kind of a world I grew up in. we were what would now be called bigots, and didn't know it. I will post a few more pictures from the late 30s just as the war began. We belonged to the Detroi Yacht Club, which was an important part of my teen years, and also after WW II. We also belonged to Plum Hollow golf club, but I spent very little time there, and my Dad dropped it in favor of the DYC. Dad bought his first small power boat about 1930. The second one about 1934. It was a 32 foot Rochester. Then he bought a 37 foot flying bridge boat about 1937. I spent many weekends on this boat at the DYC. There was a whole colony of families living on their boats week ends at the DYC. It was a great period for me and my friends.
It was here that I was first exposed to sailboats. The DYC had a very good sailing program for teaching and then racing. I got my skipper's card to take out the Club Catboats alone when I was 14. From that day on sailing became the biggest part of my life, along with my family.

No comments: