Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The years after the war sort of blend in. We had a wonderful family relation, ship, with more or less typical problems. My son had some problems in school, but managed to finish High School. I'll address this more whenI get us to Florida. My daughter was, and is, a strong, and very intelligent woman. Her years after the war were influenced, as I believe her whole generation
was, by the Vietnam war, and the drug culture, which never reached her personally, thank God.
And of course women's lib was a strong influence, and still is.
Our life in the 50s revolved around the kid's education, sailing, bridge, and the DYC. We made several cruises as a family to The North Channel, and Georgian Bay on our sail boats. the North Channel is above Lake Huron, and goes along Manitoulin Island. The longest fresh water island in the world. I also decided to fly again, and joined the air force reserve to fly at Selfridge Field. We were flying AT 6s, and it was great fun. The day I arrived at the field and was told that we would be checked out in jet trainers, I decided to drop out. My ex unit was called up for Korea about 6 months after I dopped out!!
I joined a small group of DYC friends in flying club, and we bought a Cessna 172. My associates
were all learners, and I soon felt nervous about this. I dropped out of that, and bought a Cessna 172 for myself.
My working life settled down to 7 years of sales engineering in electric motors. I then bought an Electrotype foundry, and was in that about 10 years. I had bought into a dying industry, letter press printing. Never the less we had some great years. Although you couldnt get rich in a dying industry, the tax laws allowed for a nice life style. I merged my company witha friendly competitor, and got about 5 years more than I would have alone. I sold to my partners in1969 and movedto Florida.
I taught Marge bridge as soon as we were married. We played a lot, and got pretty good. I remember playing against Goren in a tournament in 1939. Marge and I often played against a Barry Cohen. He went to Hollywood, and became Barry Crane, one of th greatest players of all times. His personal life was a shambles, and he was killed, probably by a jilted male lover. But that's another story.
I think my next addition will start after we left Detroit for Florida, and will have more pictures.RHD

No comments: