Friday, January 20, 2006

Post War!
I was discharged just in time to make the fall semester at the University of Michigan. My last two years seemed far easier than the first two. I'm sure this was because of the maturing we all had done in service. I was only 21 when I went back to school, and I graduated at 23 with a Bachelor's degree in Aeonautical Engineering. I had started Mich. engineering with the vaque idea of taking law after my Bachelor's, but it never happened. There were about 30 graduates that year in Aero engineering. Of these about 20 were engines, and aboout 10 of us were structures. Because the war had just ended, and we had airplanes up the kazoo, jobs in Aeronautics were scarce. Only 6 of us got job offers in the industry. I was one. My offer was to go to work for Bell Aircraft in Buffalo, N.Y. at $60.00 a week. This didn't seem very attractive to me, and I began a lifetime o f sales, including about 20 years owning and operating an Electrotype plant. This brings me up to the real beginning of a long life of marriage and family. This life included the two things that were to become lifetime passions, sailing and bridge. I will now tell my tale from then to now.

No comments: