Saturday, January 21, 2006

The summer of 1947 was really my first start of life as a civilian following WW II. My closest friend was Tom Drennan. We had an older friend, Perce Darnell who was an ardent sailer, and owned an 8 meter racing sailboat. There were about 8 of these racing in Detroit. Another class had been the 22 square meters. These owners switched as a group to 30 square meters. Vic Lakits had just aquired his 22, and didn't have the money to change to a 30. Perce Darnell took pity on him, and bought his 22 sqare meter so Vic could buy a 30 square. Perce than told Tommy and I we could use the 22 as much as we wanted, we just couldn't race it, no insurance. What a summer we had. Talk about a chick mobile!
The next summer, I was a fresh grad, and started a life as an adult. I was able to race my Lightning all over the area, Detroit of course, Lake Erie, Inland lakes in Mich., etc. We started a Lightning class at the DYC, and I won every race. This qualified me for the Lightning Internationals. That's where I had my come uppance! Came in damned near last! I knew I had a lot to learn about sail boat racing.
In the fall of 1947, I remet Marjorie Menshardt. I asked her to come to Detroit and go with me to a Michigan football game. She lived in St. Louis. Well, she came, and about a month later, she asked me to come to St.Louis for New Years eve, never dreaming I would accept, but I did.
Before the Weekend was over, I proposed to her, and she accepted. That led to the wonderful marriage we still have after 57 years. More as I dredge up memories. Oh yes, Tom Drennan was my best Man

RHD

No comments: