Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Had to start somewhere, the pictures below are Marge, Debbie and
Me as we have looked for several years, aging of course now!

I started with Merrill after my 3 month training period in New York.
My first 9 years were in Palm Beach. I knew only one person in
the area, Llwyd Ecclestone, Jr. My client base started slowly
but was soon substantial. We joined the Sailfish Club, with Llwyd
as our sponser. I started playing sone high stakes bridge, 3 cents
a point! and generally went about meeting people as fast as I could.
The area was in a period of very rapid expansion, and Merrill
started opening sattellite offices, instead of free standing ones.
They opened one in North Palm Beach, and I was lucky enough to
be transferred there. Mostly because we had built a house { more
about that later}, on Singer Island, and lived the closest to the
new location than any other broker in the Palm Beach office, of
which the new office was a sattellite. After only about 5 months
I was made the manager, and held this position for 10 years. It was
a bonanza. People were moving into the area in droves, and had
money to invest I was a producing manager. We had lots of
walkins. I never took the walkins unless they specifically asked
for the manager. All of us built our books rapidly. In 1987, I
stepped down as manager, and decide to retire. That's a short
history of my carreer, but I'll be back on incidents all through
this "journal"

3 comments:

Le Rouet said...

i need a little bit of an explanation here : i don't know what a BROKER is! (I thought brokers were working at the Stock Exchange)

RHD said...

You're right. Broker can be sales agent in many industries, but primarily in stocks and bonds. I guess I didn't make my role clear. I joined Merrill-Lynch, a large and leading security broker, as a trainee. I became a STOCK BROKER after a 6 month training period. I worked as a broker in Palm Beach 10 years. When our {Merrill Lynch }
company, opened a sattellite office in North Palm Beach, I transferred there as Manager. In the sattellite offices, the manager also had his own " book ", list of accounts, and acted as a broker for his own clients, as well as office manager.
Hope this makes sense to you.
RHD

Le Rouet said...

yes absolutely! thank you, my english is improving!