Saturday, January 21, 2006

Bridge

Let me digress for a moment, and bring in the second passion
of my life, bridge. In the 30s when I was a teenager, home
entertainment as we now know it, didn't exist. Bridge had come
on strong, and a lot of it was played by couples as night enertainment.
Bridge had evolved from Whist, and at first as Auction. It was
rapidly replaced by contract, and became a real rage. I remember
Culbertson as a real American idol. I began to learn it from my
Mother when I was about 13. I played a lot in the army, and a lot
at Michigan. I won my first tournament in Detroit about 1940
with John Grierson as my partner. I became better than average,
but never really an expert. I started teaching Marge to play right
after we were married. Both our mothers were good players. We still
play a lot, but Marge's bridge has sufferd some as a result of the
stroke several years ago. More as we go along "Life's busy highway"
RHD

No comments: